We are on the hunt for a Junior Web Developer who will hit the ground running, and is eager to be part of an experienced team of developers optimising our digital products. In this role, you will support the product engineering and web development across our group of brands to ensure we deliver market leading web experiences for our readers.
You’ll be joining the operations team during a new era at Pedestrian Group, helping support our newest commercial properties and partnerships including Pedestrian.TV, Pedestrian Jobs, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, Kotaku Australia, VICE and Refinery29 Australia.
Reporting to the Head of Technology, the role requires an approachable, organised individual with an enthusiastic can-do attitude. You’ll be someone who loves to collaborate, gets amped by big ideas and is not afraid to get their hands dirty building new products, and websites according to WordPress best practices.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
Core site development and maintenance:
- Build and maintain the sites for our core editorial news brands; Pedestrian.TV, Gizmodo.com.au, Kotaku.com.au, Lifehacker.com.au
- UX improvements and maintenance on ancillary brands and
e-commerce platforms like Pedestrian Jobs and Open Air Cinemas
- Be at the forefront of WordPress development
Creative projects and features
- Develop ad hoc commercial and creative projects that deliver
to short term commercial and editorial requirements.
- Build and maintain new features and capabilities across all website assets
- Ensure team effectiveness by working collaboratively with internal
and external stakeholders, including Technical Manager, Creative
Project Managers and external suppliers
- Direct line management of any internal development team
- Practical WordPress development skills, with an understanding of modern theming and plugin development
- Autonomous self-starter with a desire to learn with excellent analytical skills
- Experience with Atlassian deployment programs Bitbucket and Jira is a bonus
- Experience in front end and back end web development practices is a plus
As our preferred candidate, you will have:
- Knowledge of and experience in the online publishing industry
- Web performance skills and understanding
- Agile development skills
- A keen interest in learning new WordPress technologies
- A team player
**About Pedestrian Group**
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.7 million Aussies per month. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, Business Insider Australia, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, Kotaku and PopSugar, as well as the American Express Open Air Cinemas. It’s wholly owned by Nine, Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.